Passports, Visas & Residence Permits

Passports, Visas & Residence Permits

For EU students ( European Union)

If you are from a Member State of the European Union, or Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, you have the right to free movement and residence in Spain. You just need your ID, although we recomend you bring also your valid passport.

For non EU students

Passport: A valid passport is required for you to enter and leave your home to Spain. If you already have one, make sure it will not expire until six months after the end date of your program. In some cases this is a requirement. If you don’t have a passport, apply for one immediately and request the fastest service possible.

FOR U.S. CITIZENS: See the U.S. Department of State website for information on how to apply for a passport.

FOR CANADA CITIZENS: see the for information on how to apply for a passport.

FOR AUSTRALIA CITIZENS: see the australian goverment site for information on how to apply for a passport.

Do I need a visa to study at Spain high schools?

That depends. If you are planning to study in Spain for longer than 90 days, you will need to apply for a student visa.

Seville Abroad will issue you a visa certification letter with information on your program abroad benefits and health insurance. This letter will be sent to your home after you have submitted a complete acceptance package including any applicable program deposits. Check with your local Spanish consulates to see what your local requirements are for obtaining visas. Keep in mind that a visa can take up to three months to process, so be sure to apply in a timely manner to make sure you are ready to embark on your study-abroad journey.If you delay in submitting the necessary materials, Seville Abroad staff can do little to assist in obtaining these documents. Therefore, please begin the process as soon as you know your Seville Abroad placement site has been confirmed.

About the visa

A visa is often a stamp on a passport page that signifies an agreement on conditions of entry. As a student, it will be your responsibility to find out what documents you are required to submit to the embassy or consulate and to follow all necessary steps to obtain the appropriate visa or residence permit.

There are multiple Spanish Consulates located throughout world. Usually you are required to apply at the consulate that has jurisdiction over your permanent residence. You will be required to appear in person at the consulate to apply for the visa.

We take care of it

Seville Abroad will inform you which consulate you belong to and will provide you with the contact details so that you can find out about all the necessary requirements.Each consulate has slightly different paperwork requirements. On your consulate’s webpage you will find a checklist of needed documents, specific to your application. Follow the requirements given by your consulate exactly. Seville Abroad cannot contact consulates on behalf of students.

Visa Appointment

Most consulates require advanced appointments that may be obtained online. It is important to book your appointment well in advance as appointments may fill especially during the busy summer months.

What's included?

Some of the documents you may be required to present include the items listed below. This is not an official list, it is an example for an Spanish consulate in USA, you must follow the requirements given by your consulate in your home country exactly:

Visa application components

Apostille Seal of the Hague

Some Spanish consulates may require that certain documents are authenticated with the Apostille Seal of The Hague. If you are required to present a document for your application with the Apostille Seal of the Hague visit this site to find the appropriate authority.

AFTER ARRIVING TO SPAIN: The NIE (ID Number for Foreigners)

Your visa will normally be issued with an NIE number, and depending on the duration of your program you may need to register with the local immigration office and/or police station to obtain your NIE ID card. The NIE will cover your entire stay in Spain.

Your local coordinator will accompany you to the local immigration office to obtain the NIE.